EXTRACTION, PARTIAL PURIFICATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF BETA-GLUCOSIDASE FROM APRICOT DEFATTED SEEDS POWDER
Keywords:Plant β-D-glucoside glucohydrolase, apricot kernel, inhibitors.
The objective of this study, is characterization of partially purified beta-glucosidase (BGS) extracted from apricot defatted seeds powder. The enzyme was extracted using sodium phosphate solution (0.2M, pH 7) containing 2% sodium chloride with mixing ratio of (1:5 solid: liquid) for extraction period of 3 hours at 4C. The crude extract was precipitated by ammonium sulfate at 20-70% saturation, dialyzed then concentrated. The specific activity of the enzyme, folds of purification and the enzymatic yield were 5.45 units/mg, 7.8 fold and 84.5%, respectively. The results showed that the optimum conditions for the enzyme activity were at pH 5.5 and 6.5, the optimum temperature for the enzyme’s activity was 40°C and 55°C, while the thermal stability of the enzyme was between 25-45°C when the enzyme retained more than 90% of its activity over 30 minutes incubation at the optimum pH for activity, and retained 88% of its activity at 50° C. The results also revealed the inhibitory and activator effects of minerals and chemical compounds on the BGS activity.
- Al-easawi, M. A. H. 2020. Extraction and purification of beta-galactosidase from local almond and its use for lactose intolerance treatment. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Science, 51(3), 767-776. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v51i3.1032
- Ali, H.K., J.M. Nasser, and K. A. Shaker. 2022. Extraction, purification and characterization of lipase from the digestive duct of common carp cyprinus carpio. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 53(5):1011-1020. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v53i5.1615
- Ašić, A., L. Bešić, I. Muhović, S. Dogan. and Y. Turan. 2015. Purification and characterization of β-glucosidase from Agaricus bisporus (white button mushroom). Thbe protein journal, 34(6), 453-461
- Asif, M. and T.C. Bhalla. 2016. Hydroxynitrile lyase of wild apricot (Prunus armeniaca L.): Purification, characterization and application in synthesis of enantiopure mandelonitrile. Catalysis Letters, 146(6), pp.1118-1127
- Bešić, L., A. Ašić, I. Muhović, S. Dogan. and Y. Turan. 2017. Purification and Characterization of β‐Glucosidase from Brassica oleracea. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, 41(2), e12764
- Bhalla, T. C., M. Asif. and K. Smita. 2017. Purification and characterization of cyanogenic β-glucosidase from wild apricot (Prunus armeniaca L.). Process Biochemistry, 58, 320-325
- Blondin, B., R. Ratomahenina, A. Arnaud. and P. Galzy. 1983. Purification and properties of the β-glucosidase of a yeast capable of fermenting cellobiose to ethanol: Dekkera intermedia van der walt. European Journal of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 17(1),1-6
- Bradford, M. M. 1976. Arapid and sensitive method for the quantition of micro gram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protion –dyebinding. analytical biochemistry.72 :248-254
- Cameron, R. G., J. A. Manthey, R. A. Baker. and K. Grohmann. 2001. Purification and characterization of a beta-glucosidase from Citrus sinensis var. Valencia fruit tissue. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 49(9), 4457-4462
- Chen, L., N. Li. and M. H. Zong. 2012. A glucose-tolerant β-glucosidase from Prunus domestica seeds: purification and characterization. Process Biochemistry, 47(1), 127-132
- Chen, M., Y. Qin, Z. Liu, K. Liu, F. Wang. and Y. Qu. 2010. Isolation and characterization of a β-glucosidase from Penicillium decumbens and improving hydrolysis of corncob residue by using it as cellulase supplementation. Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 46(6), 444-449
- Dikshit, R. and P. Tallapragada. 2015. Partial purification and characterization of β-glucosidase from monascus Sanguin-eus. Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, 58(2), 185-191
- Elliston, A., S. R. Collins, C. B. Faulds, I. N. Roberts. and K. W Waldron. 2014. Biorefining of waste paper biomass: increasing the concentration of glucose by optimising enzymatic hydrolysis. Applied biochemistry and biotechnology, 172(7), 3621-3634.
glucosidase from Rauvolfia vomitoria (African Snakeroot). GEOBIOS-JODHPUR-, 35(2/3), 183.
- Gong, G., Z. Zheng, H. Liu, L. Wang, J. Diao, P. Wang. and G. Zhao. 2014. Purification and characterization of a β-glucosidase from aspergillus niger and its application in the hydrolysis of geniposide to genipin
- Hadeel, S.Y. and S.A. Khalida, 2023. Characterization of phenylalanine annonia lyase purified from locally cultivated grape seeds (Vitis vinifera L.)., Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Science: 54(2):516-524. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v54i2.1727
- Hadeel, S.Y. and S.A. Khalida, 2023. Optimum condition for phenylanine ammonia lyase extraction and purification from locally cultivated grape seeds., Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Science, 54(2):525- 534. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v54i2.1728
- Han, S., P. Chen, G. Lin, H. Huang. and Z. Li. 2001. (R)-Oxynitrilase-catalyzed hydrocyanation: the first synthesis of optically active fluorinated mandelonitriles. Tetrahedron: Asymmetry, 12(6), 843-846
- Kadhim, R. A., A. S. J. Hussein, and, F. F. Jumaa. 2017. Effect of organic fertilizer extract (x–humate 85) and application method on growth and yield of apricot trees Labeeb-1 cv. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Science, 48(4), 1108-1114. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v48i4.368
- Kaur, J., B. S. Chadha, B.A. Kumar, G. Kaur. and H. S. Saini. 2007. Purification and characterization of ß-glucosidase from Melanocarpus sp. MTCC 3922. Electronic Journal of Biotechnology, 10(2), pp.260-270
- Litzinger, S., S. Fischer, P. Polzer, K. Diederichs, W. Welte. and C. Mayer. 2010. Structural and kinetic analysis of Bacillus subtilis N-acetylglucosaminidase reveals a unique Asp-His dyad mechanism. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 285(46), 35675-35684
- Nelson, D.L., M.M. Cox. and W.H. Freeman. 2000. Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry. Third. Worth Publishers.
- Opassiri, R., Y. Hua, O. Wara-Aswapati, T. Akiyama, J. Svasti, A. Esen. and J.R.K, Cairns. 2004. Beta-glucosidase, exo-beta-glucanase and pyridoxine transglucosylase activities of rice BGlu1. Biochemical Journal, 379(1), pp.125-131
- Ranwedzi, N. 2007. Optimization of β-glucosidase activy in recombinant Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains (Doctoral dissertation, Stellenbosch: Stellenbosch University).
- Rather, M. Y. and S. Mishra. 2013. β-Glycosidases: an alternative enzyme based method for synthesis of alkyl-glycosides. Sustainable Chemical Processes, 1(1), 1-15.
- Roubelakis-Angelakis, K. A. 2001. Molecualr biology and biotechnology of grapevine. Kluwer Academic Publishers. pp. 225-240
- Sasanuma, I., and G. Hirakawa. 2010. Purification and characterization of a β-Glucosidase from the root Parasitic Plant Orobanche minor Sm. Bioscience, biotechnology, and biochemistry, 1001261818-1001261818
- Schröder, C., S. Elleuche, S. Blank. and G. Antranikian. 2014. Characterization of a heat-active archaeal β-glucosidase from a hydrothermal spring metagenome. Enzyme and Microbial technology, 57, pp.48-54
- Segel, I. H. 1976. Biochemical Calculations. 2nd ed., John Wiley and Ssons. Inc. New York
- Shaker, K. S. 2015. Purification and characterization of cyanogenic β-glucosidase from wild apricot (Prunus armeniaca L.). Process Biochemistry, 58, 320-325
- Singh, G., A. K. Verma. and V. Kumar. 2016. Catalytic properties, functional attributes and industrial applications of β-glucosidases. 3 Biotech, 6(1), p.3
- Ünal, M. Ü., V. A. Aksoy. and A. Şener. 2014. Isolation, purification and determination of some biochemical properties of β-glucosidase from Muscat of Bornova grape. European Food Research and Technology, 238(1), 9-15
- Velázquez-Palmero, D., C. Romero-Segura, R. García-Rodríguez, M. L. Hernández, F. E. Vaistij, I. A. Graham, A. G. Pérez. and J.M. Martínez-Rivas. 2017. An oleuropein β-glucosidase from olive fruit is involved in determining the phenolic composition of virgin olive oil. Frontiers in Plant Science, 8, p.1902
- Verma, O. P., A. Kumar, B. K. Singh, N. Singh. and O. Chaudhary. 2011. Isolation, Purification and Characterization of beta-
- Yan, Q., X. W Zhou, W. Zhou, X. W. Li, M. Q. Feng. and P. Zhou. 2008. Purification and properties of a novel beta -glucosidase, hydrolyzing ginsenoside Rb1 to CK, from Paecilomyces Bainier. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 18(6), 1081-1089
- Yu, H. L., J. H. Xu, W. Y. Lu, and G. Q. Lin. 2007. Identification, purification and characterization of β-glucosidase from apple seed as a novel catalyst for synthesis of O-glucosides. Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 40(2), 354-361.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.