VICINE AND CONVICINE LEVELS IN DRY AND FRESH BEANS DURING THE GROWTH STAGES AND THE EFFECT OF ENZYMATIC TREATMENT AND PROCESSING CONDITIONS ON THEIR REMOVAL.
Keywords:divicine ، isouramil ، faba bean، favism، β-glucosidase
Beans (Vicia faba) contain some anti-nutritional compounds, especially vicine and convicine and their non-sugar derivatives, divicine and isouramil, which are responsible for the occurrence of Favism in people with hereditary deficiency of Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD). These study objective was estimation of vicine and convicine content and their distribution in dry and green bean parts during the growth stages, and the effect of beta-glucosidase from defatted apricot seed powder and some home-based processing conditions on elimination of these compounds from the bean. The results showed that the content of vicine & convicine in bean ranged from 22.7 mg/100 g in the seedling stage to 46.8 mg/100 g in the pods stage at 139 days. As for vicine, it ranged from 12.6 mg /100g to 29 mg/100g at the above stages respectively. While for convicine it ranged from 10.1 mg/100g to 17.8 mg/100 respectively. The enzymatic treatments showed significant elimination of those compounds as compared to non-enzymatic treatments. Additionally, other factors such as soaking temperature, pH, and time as well as cooking process had a positive effect on the elimination of those glucosides.
- Abdallah, M. A., Y. H. Foda, F. M. Abu Salem and Z. S. Abdallah. 1988. Treatments for reducing total vicine in Egyptian faba bean (Giza 2 variety). Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 38: 201-210.
- Arese, P. and A. De Flora. 1990. Pathophysiology of hemolysis in glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency. In Seminars in hematology (Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 1-40).
- Belsey, M.A. 1973. The epidemiology of favism. Bull. Word Health Organization 48:1
- Bien, S., G. Salemnik, L. Zamir and M. Rosenblum. 1968. The structure of convicine. J. Chem. Soc., 496
- Bjerg, B., J. Knudsen and O. Olsen 1985. Quantitative analysis and inheritance of vicine and convicine content in seeds of Vicia faba. Z. Pfl. – Zucht., 94:135-145
- Chaieb, N., M. Bouslama and M. Mars. 2011. Growth and yield parameters variability among faba bean (Vicia faba L.) Genotypes. J. Nat. Prod. Plant Resour., 1(2): 81-90
- Champ, M.M.J. 2002. Non-nutrient bioactive substances of pulses, Br. J. Nutr., 88(suppl. 3), S 307-S 319
- Crépon, K., P. Marget, C..Peyronnet, B .Carrouee, P. Arese. and G. Duc. 2010. Nutritional value of faba bean (Vicia faba L.) seeds for feed and food. Field Crops Research, 115(3), 329-339.
- Dhary, S. I. and M. H. K. Al-Baldawi. 2017. Response of different varieties of faba bean to plant source organic fertilizers. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Science 48(4): 1148-1157. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v48i4.376
- EIAR. Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research. 2011. Faba bean producing manual. Holetta Agric. Res. Center. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. p. 7-13.
- Goyoaga, C., C. Burbano, C. Cuadrado, A. Varela, E. Guillamón, M. M. Pedrosa and M. Muzquiz. 2008. Content and distribution of vicine, convicine and L-DOPA during germination and seedling growth of two Vicia faba L. varieties. European Food Research and Technology, 227(5), 1537-1542.
- Hegazy, M. I. and R. R. Marquardt. 1984. Metabolism of vicine and convicine in rat tissues: absorption and excretion patterns and sites of hydrolysis. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 35(2), 139-146
- Hossain, M.S. and M.G. Mortuza. 2006. Chemical composition of kalimatar, a locally grown strain of faba bean (Vicia faba L.) .Pak.J.Biol.Sci., 9:1817-1822
- Jamalian, J. and M. Ghorbani. 2005. Extraction of favism-inducing agents from whole seeds of faba bean (Vicia faba L. var major). J. Sci. Food Agric., 85: 1055-1060
- Jasim, A. S., and J. M. Nasser, 2020. Functional properties of enzymatically modified wheat gluten. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Science, 51(3), 777-788. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v51i3.1033
- Kadhim, R. A., A. S. J., Hussein and , F. F. Jumaa .2017. Effect of organic fertilizer extract (x–humate 85) and application method on growth and yield of apricot trees Labeeb-1 cv. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Science, 48(4):1108-1114. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v48i4.368
- Luzzatto, L. and P. Arese. 2018. Favism and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency. New England Journal of Medicine, 378(1), 60-71.
- Machado, Y.J., W. Murillo-Arango,. and L. Hennessey-Ramos. 2022. Evaluation of peel extract of mangosteen as a dye natural and antioxidant and its use as an additive in a fruit beverage. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 53(4):857-866. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v53i4.1598
- Marquardt, R. R., A. A. Frohlich, and M. S. Arbid. 1989. Isolation of crystalline divicine from an acid hydrolysate of vicine and a crystalline decomposition product of divicine and some properties of these compounds. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 37(2), 455-462
- McMillan, D. C., K. L. Schey, G. P. Meier and D. J. Jollow. 1993. Chemical analysis and hemolytic activity of the fava bean aglycon divicine. Jul. Aug., 6 (4): 439-44
- Mona, A.M., M. A. Sabah and A. M Rehab. 2011. Influence of potassium sulfate on faba bean yield and quality. Applied Sciences, 5(3): 87-95
- Patterson, C. A., J. Curran and T. Der. 2017. Effect of processing on antinutrient compounds in pulses. Cereal Chemistry, 94(1), 2-10.
- Pavlík, M., M. Váñová, V. Laudová and J. Harmatha. 2002. Fungi toxicity of natural heterocycle glycoside vicine obtained from Vicia faba L. against selected microscopic filamentous. fun Rostinná Výroba, 48 (12): 543-547
- Pitz, W. J., F. W. Sosulski and G.G. Rowtand .1981. Effect of genotype and environment of vicine and convicine levels in fababean (Vicia faba minor). J.Sci.Food .Agric . 32:1
- Pulkkinen, M. 2019. Occurrence of vicine and convicine in faba bean and their removal by hydrolysis. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Helsinki
- Pulkkinen, M., X. Zhou, A. M.Lampi and V. Piironen. 2016. Determination and stability of divicine and isouramil produced by enzymatic hydrolysis of vicine and convicine of faba bean. Food Chemistry, 212, 10-19.
- Quemener, B. 1988. Improvements in the high-pressure liquid chromatographic determination of amino sugars and. alpha. -galactosidase in faba bean, lupine, and pea. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 36(4), 754-759.
- Rizzello, C. G., I. Losito , L .Facchini, K Katina, F. Palmisano, M. Gobbetti and R. Coda. 2016. Degradation of vicine, convicine and their aglycones during fermentation of faba bean flour. Scientific reports, 6(1), 1-11.
- SAS. 2012. Statistical Analysis System, User's Guide. Statistical. Version 9.1th ed. SAS. Inst. Inc. Cary. N.C. USA
- Shin-Imkim, E. Hoehn, N.A.M. Eskin and F. Ismail. 1982. ASimple and rapid colormetic method for determination of vicine and convicine. J. Agric. Food Chem .30:144
- Vioque, J., M. Alaiz and J. Girón-Calle. 2012. Nutritional and functional properties of Vicia faba protein isolates and related fractions. Food Chemistry, 132(1), pp.67-72
- Vottonen, L. 2018. Uncovering gene expression differences associated with high and low vicine and convicine content in faba bean (Vicia faba).
- Wafaa, N., H. A. Elbarbary, , E. M. A. Ibrahim, , H. A.Mohamed, , H. Jenssen, D. F. C. Hygi, and D. S. Envir. 2022. Effect of enzyme type and hydrolysis time on antibacterial and antioxidant activity of whey protein hydrolysates. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 53(6), 1340-1357. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v53i6.1650
- Watson, C.A., M. Reckling, S. Preissel, J. Bachinger, G. Bergkvist, T. Kuhlman, K. Lindström, T. Nemecek, Topp, C. F. Vanhatalo and P. Zander. 2017. Grain legume production and use in European agricultural systems. Advances in Agronomy, 144, pp.235-303
- Winterbourn, C. C., W. B Cowden and H. C. Sutton. 1989. Auto-oxidation of dialuric acid, divicine and isouramil: superoxide dependent and independent mechanisms. Biochemical Pharmacology, 38(4), 611-618.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.