EFFECT OF ADDING ALOE VERA EXTRACT ON THE QUALITY OF BUFFALO OOCYTES USING TWO CRYOPRESERVATION METHODS
Keywords:antioxidant, vitrification technique, rapid freezing technique, oocyte viable.
This study was conducted to evaluate the impact of two types of cryopreservation and different concentrations of Aloe vera as an antioxidant (0,10% and 20%) on the viability and normal morphology of immature and in vitro mature buffalo cryopreserved oocytes. The in vitro mature and immature oocytes were kept in cryopreservation solutions for rapid and vitrification techniques. The results revealed that the proportion of buffalo oocytes found to be viable and normal morphology were significantly (P<0.01) higher produced when using a high concentration (20%) of aloe vera on in vitro mature buffalo oocyte which is79.11% and 59.02%; respectively. We conclude from the present study that the viability and normal morphology of post-thawed buffalo cryopreserved in vitro matured oocytes were significantly (P < 0.01) higher produced in using a high concentration of aloe vera than other concentrations of aloe vera, from the side while with other side the vitrification technique than a rapid technique.
- Al- Saadoon AAZ. 2014. Effect of Cryopreservation Technique on Oocytes and Early-Stage Embryos in Sheep, Ph.D. Dissertation, College of Ariculture University of Baghdad.pp:52-58
- Al-Taiy H. K., A. T. H. Al-Salhi, and A. L. J. Al-mashadani, 2020. Development extension service to meeting the requirements of buffalo breeders in Iraq Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 51(1):432-442. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v51i1.942
- Argyle, C. E., J. C. Harper, and M. C. Davies, 2016. Oocyte cryopreservation: Where were we now? Hum. Reprod. Update. 22(4): 440-449
-Atiyah S. S., A. A. Hobi, M.B.M. Fakhrildin. 2019. Cryopreservation of sheep oocytes and embryos using local, modified vitrification tool. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 50 (Special Issue):216-221. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v50iSpecial.192
- Borghese A and B. Moioli, 2016. Buffalo: Mediterranean Region, ELSEVIER, Encyclopedia of Dairy Sciences, 2nd ed 2011, 780–784
- Choi S, and MH. Chung, 2003. A review on the relationship between Aloe Vera components and their biologic effects. In Semin integ Med.; 1: 53-62
-Danial, G.H.; D.A. Ibrahim, A.N. Youef and S.B. Elyas. 2019. Rapid protocol of Aloe vera in vitro propagation. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 50(5):1377- 1382. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v50i5.804
- Debnath T, M.Ghosh, YM . Lee, NCD. Nath, KG. Lee, and BO. Lim.2018. Identification of phenolic constituents and antioxidant activity of Aloe barbadensis flower extracts. Food Agri Immun. 2018; 29: 27-38
- Donnelly E. T., N. McClure, and S. E. M.Lewis, 2001a. Cryopreservation of human semen and prepwered sperm: effects on motility parameters and DNA integrity. Fertil. Steril. 76(5): 892–900
-Drost, M. 2007. Bubaline versus bovine reproduction. Theriogenology. 68: 447-449
- El-Shemy HA, MAM. Aboul-Soud, AA. Nassr-Allah, Aboul- KM.Enein, A. Kabash, and A. Yagi, 2010. Antitumor properties and modulation of antioxidant enzymes activity by aloe vera leaf active principles isolated via supercritical carbon dioxide extraction. Curr Med Chem.; 17: 129-138
-Hamad S. F., Z. O. Salman , and B. M. J. Alwash. 2021. Assessment of antioxidant and cytotoxic activity of essential oil extracted from lavandula angustifolia callus leaves, Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences, :52(6):1549-1554. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v52i6.1496
- Hamman JH., 2008. Composition and applications of Aloe vera leaf gel. Molecules. 2008; 13:pp: 1599-1616.
- Hermiz H.N., and G.M.A. Hadad. 2020. Factors affecting reproductive traits in several breeds of dairy cattle in Iraq. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences,51(2):629-636. https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v51i2.990
-Hu Q, Y.Hu, and J. Xu, 2005. Free radical-scavenging activity of Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis Miller) extracts by supercritical carbon dioxide extraction. Food Chem .2005; 91: 85-90.
-Iussig B., R. Maggiulli, G.Fabozzi, S. Bertelle, A. Vaiwerelli, D. Danilo Cimadomo, M. Filippo , F.M.U. baldi, and R. Laura Rienzi, 2019. A brief history of oocyte cryopreservation: Arguments and Facts. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2019;98: 550–558
-Guven M, UH. Golge, E. Aslan, MH. Sehitoglu, AB. Aras, T. Akman, and M. Cosar, 2016. The effect of aloe vera on ischemia—Reperfusion injury of sciatic nerve in rats. Biomed Pharma. 2016; 79: 201-207
- Kaveri MKK, B.Chimkod Vishwanath, and CS. Patil, 2013. Antimicrobial activity of aloe vera leaf extract. Int J Appl Bio Pharma Tech. 2013; 4: 286- 290
-Lazeeza S.O., 2021. Antioxidant activity of pomegranate. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences –2021:52 (1): 196-203
-Le Gal F. 1996. In vitro maturation and fertilization of goat oocytes frozen at the germinal vesicle stage. Theriogenology, 45:1177-1185
-Liang Y., T.Somfai, T. Nagai ,and R. Parnpai , 2013. Vitrification of buffalo oocytes: current status and perspectives. buffalo bulletin. 32(Special Issue 1): 196-203
-Lopez-Cervantes J, DI. Sánchez -Machado, P. Cruz-Flores, MF. Mariscal- Domínguez, GS.de la Mora-López, and ON. Campas-Baypoli, 2018. Antioxidant capacity, proximate composition, and lipid constituents of Aloe vera flowers. J Appl Res Med Arom Plan. 2018; 10:pp: 93-98
-Mahmoud, K. Gh. M., M. M. M. El-Sokary, T.H.Scholkamy, M.E.A. Abou El-Roos, G.A.M. Sosa,and M. Nawito, 2013. The effect of cryodevice and cryoprotectant concentration on buffalo oocytes vitrified at MII stage, Anim. Reprod., 10, (4),pp: 689-696, Oct./Dec. 2013
-Moawad, A.R ., P.Fisher, J. Zhu, I.Choi, Z.Polgar, A. Dinnyes, and K.H.S. Camobll, 2012. In vitro fertilization of ovine oocytes vitrified by solid surface vitrification at germinal vesicle stage. cryobiology, 65: 139-144
-Mostagir A.M., M.A. Elmetwally, A. Montaser, M. Samy, and S.M.Zaabel, 2019. Effects of L-Carnitine and cryoprotectants on viability rate of immature buffalo oocytes in vitro after vitrification, AJVS. 62(2): 45-52. July 2019. DOI: 10.5455/ajvs.57457
-Nogueira, D ., S. Romero, and L. Vanhoute, 2009. Oocyte In vitro Maturation In: Gardner DK, Weissman A, Howles CM, and Shoham Z. Editors. Textbook of Assisted Reproductive Technologies. Laboratory and Clinical Perspectives. 3rd ed. Informa healthcwere UK: 111-151
-Perera O and DE. Noakes, 2019. Buffalo and Related Species, ELSEVIER, Veterinary Reproduction and Obstetrics (Tenth Edition) 2019,: 683-692
-Quispe C, M. Villalobos, J. Borquez, and M. Simirgiotis, 2018. Chemical Composition and Antioxidant Activity of Aloe vera from the Pica Oasis (Tarapac´a, Chile) by UHPLC-Q/Orbitrap/ MS/ MS. J Chem.: 1-12.
-Rienzi, L.F and F.M. Ubaldi, 2009. Oocyte retrieval and Selection In: Gardner DK, Weissman A, Howles CM, and Shoham Z. Editors. Textbook of Assisted Reproductive Technologies. Laboratory and Clinical Perspectives. 3rd ed. Informa healthcwere, UK:85-101
-SAS.2012. Statistical Analysis System.User΄s Guide. Statistical. Version 9.1th ed.SAS. Inst. Inc. Cary. N.C., USA
-Singh P., S.Agarwal, H.Singh, P.K.Verma, A.K. Pandey, and S. Kumar, 2020. Antioxidant effects of aloe vera as semen additive in cryopreservation of cattle bull semen,Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci 9(9): 1625-1635
-Singh J, KM.Koley, K. Chandrakar ,and NS. Pagrut, 2013. Effects of aloe vera on dressing percentage and haemato-biochemidal parameters of broiler chickens. Vet Worl. 2013; 6: 803-814.
-Souza A L, GL.Lima, GC. Peixoto, AM. Silva, MF. Oliveira, and AR.Silva, 2016. Use of aloe vera-based extender for chilling and freezing collwered peccary (Pecari tajacu) semen. Theriogenology, 85 (8): 1432-1438
-Trigos, 2011. Effects of Cryopreservation on the Meiotic Spindle, Cortical Granule Distribution, and Development of Rabbit Oocytes. M.SC. Thesis. University of Valencia. Italy. 31-32
-Yong KW , WK. Zaman, W. Safwani, F. Xu, X. Zhang, JR. Choi, WAB. Wan Abas, SZ. Omar, MAN. Azmi, KH. Chua, and B. Pingguan-Murphy, 2017. Assessment of tumourigenic potential in long-term cryopreserved human adipose-derived stem cells. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. J Tissue Eng Regen Med, 2017 Aug; 11 (8) : 2217-2226
-Van den Abbeel, E., J. Van der Elst, M. van der Linden, and A.C. van Steirteghem, 1997b. High survival rate of one-cell mouse embryos cooled rapidly to -196 degrees C after exposure to a propylene glycol–dimethylsulfoxide– sucrose solution. Cryobiology 34, 1–12
-Wahid H. and Y. Rosnina, 2016. Buffalo: Asia, ELSEVIER, Encyclopedia of Dairy Sciences, 2nd ed 2011, 772–779.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.