EFFECT OF SUPPLEMENTATION FENUGREEK OIL TO THE DIET ON THE PHYSIOLOGICAL, ANATOMICAL AND HISTOLOGICAL TRAITS OF BROILERS
Keywords:small intestinal parameters, body weight, bacterial counts , fenugreek oil, broiler.
This study was aimed to evaluate the effect of supplementing fenugreek seed oil to the diet on the physiological, anatomical and histological characteristics of broilers. A total of 200 chicks one day-old of (Ross308) were used in this study and divided into 4 treatments, 5 replicate for each treatment by 10 chicks in each replicate. The treatments were T1(control diet) = without additives (basal diet), T2 = basal diet + 0.25 ml fenugreek oil / kg, T3 = basal diet + 0.50 ml fenugreek oil / kg and T4 = basal diet + 0.75 ml fenugreek oil /kg. The results showed Fenugreek oil inclusion at levels 0.50 ml/kg exhibited significant decrease (P <0.05) in jejunum and ileum relative weight, villi height and increasing (P <0.05) heart relative weight for T3 compare with the other groups. T4 showed significant increased (P <0.05) in lactic acid bacteria count compare with control group (T1). Supplemented 0.25 ml/ kg of fenugreek oil resulted in increasing villi height, thickness and Epithelium thickness for duodenum as compared with control group. It was observed that adding 0.25 ml/kg and 0.50 ml/kg feed fenugreek oil to the broiler chicken diet could be optimum level to enhance the productivity and histological characteristics of broiler.
- Abdullah Y.A.; K. Z. Mahmoud; B. M. Nusairat and R.I. Qudsieh. 2010. Small intestinal histology, production parameters, and meat quality as influenced by dietary supplementation of garlic (Allium sativum) in broiler chicks. Ital J Anim Sci 9 (4): 419-424.https://doi.org/10.4081/ijas.2010.e80
-Alloui N.; S.Ben Aksa; M.N. Alloui and F. Ibrir. 2012.Utilization of Fenugreek (Trigonella Foenum-Graecum) as growth promoter for broiler chickens J. World's Poult. Res. 2(2): 25-27
- Al-Tememy H. S.A.; F. K. Al-Jaff; E.H. Al-Mashhadani and S. J. Hamodi. 2011. Histological effect of inclusion different levels of coriander oil in broiler diet on small intestine. Diyala Agricultural Sciences Journal, 3:( 2 ) 1 – 1 1
- Aziz, H. I. and D.J. AL-Hawezy .2022. Effects of probiotic, prebiotic and symbiotic on broiler breeder performance, egg production at different stock density. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences .53(3):636-644
- Bash, E.; C. Ulbricht ; G. Kuo; P. Szapary and M. Smith. 2003. Therapeutic applications of fenugreek , Alt. Med. Rev. 8: 20-27
- Michael D. and D. Kumawat. 2003. Legend and Archeology of Fenugreek, Constitutions and Modern Applications of Fenugreek Seeds. International-Symp., USA. pp. 41-42
- Duncan, D.B. 1955 . Multiple Range and Multiple F tests. Biometrics, 11 : 1- 42
-Ezzat, H.N. 2018. Effect of dietary supplementation with different levels of Palm pollen on the physiological performance of the broiler, Int.J.Poult.Sci.,17(6): 285-289
- Hamid, H. H. A. 2018. Effect of Feeding of Adding Fenugreek Oil on the Performance and Blood Serum Profile of Broiler Chicks. M.Sc. Thesis. College of Agricultural Studies, Sudan University of Science and Technology
-Kadhim, M.J., and E. M. Mohammed. 2020. Influence of using various levels of fenugreek essential oil in diet on some productive traits and carcass properties in broiler chicken. Plant Archives 20(1): 545-548
-Laudadio, V.; L. Passantino,; A.Perillo,; G. Lopresti,; A. Passantino,; R.U. Khan, and V. Tufarelli. 2012. Productive performance and histological features of intestinal mucosa of broiler chickens fed different dietary protein levels. Poult. Sci. 91(1): 265–270.
-Lima, D. K. S.; M. S. Pessoa.; E. Arhnold; P.R.C. Leite.; A. R. A. Leonídio.; R. L. Santos.; C. Eickstein.; V. M. Pinto And F. O. Abrão. 2020 . Intestinal and immunological histological parameters of broilers supplemented with commercial probiotic or fungi of the autochthonous microbiota . Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Medicine, 42(1): 1-8.
-Mamoun, T. ; M. A. Mukhtar; and M.H. Tabidi. 2014. Effect of Fenugreek seed powder on the performance ,carcass characteristics and some blood serum attributes . Advance Research in Agri. and Vet. Sci. 1(1): 6-11
-Marzo, I. 2001. New Strategies in Rabbet feed : Additives and Alteratives to Antibiotic Use . 26th Symp. ASESCU. Aveiro , Portugal ; pp: 51-68
-Murlidhar, M. and T. K. Goswami. 2012. A review on the functional properties, nutritional content, medicinal utilization and potential application of fenugreek. J. food Proc. Tech., 3: 1-10
- Mustafa M. M. 2022. Effect of different levelsof oleobiotec® on production performance and egg quality traits in japanese quail. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences . 53(3):578-583.
-NRC. 1994. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry,9th rev. ed.National research council, National academy press,Washington, D.C., USA
-Paneru, D.,G. Tellez-Isaias, N. Romano, G. Lohakare,W.Bottje and J. Lohakare. 2022. Effect of graded levels of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) seeds on the growth performance, hematological parameters, and intestinal histomorphology of broiler chickens. Vet.Sci.9(5):207.
-Purshothaman, M. R.; D. Chandrasekaran; P. Vasanthakumar and S. R. Janani. 2015. Fenugreek residue as feed additive for broilers the Indian Veterinary Journal , 92(10) : 33-36
-Raghuram, T. C. ; R.D. Sharma; B. Sivakumar and B. K. Sahay. 1994. Effect of fenugreek seeds on intravenous glucose disposition in non-insulin dependent diabetic patients. Phytother. Res. 8(2): 83-86
-Ravangard, A.H.; M. Houshmand; M. Khajavi and R. Naghiha. 2017. Performance and cecal bacteria counts of broilers fed low protein diets with and without a combination of probiotic and prebiotic . Brazilian Journal of Poultry Science. Special Issue Nutrition : 075-082.
- Sadeq, S. A. M. 2019. Effect of dietary supplementation of miaclost on performance and gut morphology in broiler chickens challenged with escherichia coli. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences . 50(2):607-625
- SAS.2012. SAS /STAT User‘s Guide: Statistics Cary. SAS Institute Inc., NC, USA
- Srinivasan, K. 2006. Fenugreek Trigonella foenum-graecum A Review of health beneficial physiological effects Food-Reviews-International ; 22: 203-224
- Sulaiman K.M. and I.T. Tayeb. 2021. Response of broiler chicken to inovo administration of different levels of rosemary oil(Rosmarinus officinalis). Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences .52(4):896-903.====26- Wang, J. X.; P. Li,; X.T. Zhang, and L.X. Ye. 2017. Developmental morphology study on the stomach of African ostrich chicks. Poult Sci. 1;96(7):2006-2012
- Xue, W.L. ; X. S. Li ; J. Zhang; Y. H. Liu; Z. L. Wang and R. J. Zhang. 2007. Effect of Trigonella foenum-graecum (fenugreek) Extract on blood glucose blood lipid and hemorheological properties in streptozotoc in induced diabetic rats .Asia Pac. J. Clin. Nutr. ; 16(suppl.1) : 422-426
- Yamauchi K. and Isshiki .1991. Scanning electron microscopic observation on the intestinal villi in growing White leghorn and Broiler chickens from 1 to 30 days of age . Br. Poult. Sci. 32(1):67-78
- Ziswiler V. and D.S. Farner.1972. Digestion and Digestive System. Avian Bio. Vol 2. pp:343-430. Academic press. London.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.