COMPARATIVE TAXONOMICAL STUDY FOR REPRODUCTIVE PART OF EIGHT SPECIES BELONG TO BRASSICACEAE FAMILY IN IRAQ
Keywords:silique, wing, configuration ,fruit, seed.
This study was aimed description of morphological features of fruits and seeds of eight species related to Brassicaceae family in Iraq, the study showed number of taxonomic differences as the silique was long in all studied except the species Rorippa amphibian (L.)b Besser was short, however the fruits varied in dimensions where the species Turritis laxa L. recorded the highest average length with (160 mm) while the species R .amphibia was record the shortest length (5 mm), in addition the colors ranged from green to brown. This study showed that all of the species was glabrous except Arabis caucasia Willd. was lanute-woolly. The configuration shapes were linear with except the species Nasturtium officinale W.T.Aiton. was elliptic and R.amphibia was ovoid, moreover, the characteristics of seeds were investigated as taxonomical important traits like dimensions, colors, number of seeds in fruit, surface configuration and the presence of wing, the number of seeds per species as T. laxa have about 75 seeds in one fruit with the highest rate recorded while lowest average number of seeds among species was 12 seeds in Arabis novaVill.
- Abdel Khalik K and van der Maesen LJG .2002. Seed morphology of some tribes of Brassicaceae (implication for taxonomy and species identification for the flora of Egypt). Blumea 47: 363-83
- Al-Dobaissi, I.A.M.; R. K. H. Al-Masoudi and L. K. A. AlAzerg.2020.Palynological study of genus Pterocephalus in Iraq. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences.51 (2):565-573
- Aliway, S.A.; L.K.A. Al-Azerg; H. Redah and S. Nameer. 2017. Anatomical comparative for two species Amaranthus albus L. and Amaranthus gracilis Defs. The Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences.48 (6): 1573-1581
- Aliwy, S.A.2017. Systematical comparative for two species Amaranthus albus L. and Amaranthus gracilis Defs. The Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences.48 (3): 852-859
- Al-Masoudi, R. K. H.2019. Morphological anatomical and geographical distribution studies of species Horwoo diadicksoniae (Turrill) in Iraq. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences: 50(6):1613-1620.
-Al-Musawi,A.H.1987.Plant Taxonomy.The first Edition.Dar Al-Kutub for printing and publishing.Baghdad University.pp:379
- Al-Musawi, A.H., S.A., Aliway and L.K.A., Al-Azerg.2017. Isolation of two species of compositae family E. amatus Boiss.and Hausskn. and E. cephalotes DC. By morphological and vegetative shoot apex for the first time in Iraq. The Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences.48 (5): 1247-1254
- Al-Newani, H.R.H., S. A. Aliway and R. K.H.Al-Masoudi.2020.The taxonomical significant of computerd phylogenetic analysis and morphological data in some species of polygonaceae. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences: 51(6):1517-1524
- Al-Rawi, A.1964.Wild Plant of Iraq with their Distribution Tech. Bull. 14. DirGen.ofAgr. Proj. Ministry of Agriculture, Government press, Baghdad,pp. 113
-Bailey, C.D., M.A. Koch, M.Mayer, K. Mummenhoff, S.L. O’kane, S.I. Warwick, M.D. Windham and I.A. Al-Shehbaz .2006. Toward a global phylogeny of the Brassicaceae. Molecular Biology and Evolution 23.11: 2142–2160.https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msl087
-Barthlott, W. 1981. Epidermal and Seed Surface Applicability and Some Evolutionary Aspects. Nordic Journal of Botany, 1, 345-355. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1756-1051.1981.tb00704.x
-Barthlott, W.1984.Microstructural Features of Seed Surface. In: Heywood, V.H. and Moore, D.C., Eds., Current Concepts in Plant Taxonomy, Academic Press.pp.95-105
-Bentham, G.and J.D. Hooker.1862. Genera Plantarum. Reeve, London, Vol. 1,pp.865
-Bona,M..2013. Seed-coat microsculpturing of Turkish Lepidium (Brassicaceae) and Its systematic application. Turkish Journal of Botany, 37, 662-668
-Cole,G.T.and H.D.Behnke, .1975. Electron microscopy and Plant Systematics. Taxon, 24, 3-15. https://doi.org/10.2307/1218989
- El-Naggar, S.M .1996. Seed coat morphology of the Egyptian species of tribe Alysseae (Brassicaceae) and its taxonomic signifi cance. Bull Fac Sci Assiut Univ 25: 51-57
-Fayed A.A. and S.M. El-Naggar .1988. Taxonomic studies on Cruciferae in Egypt. 2 - Taxonomic significance of the seed sculpture in species of tribe Brassiceae. Tackholmia11: 87-95
- Fayed A.A. and S.M. El-Naggar .1996. Taxonomic studies on Cruciferae in Egypt. 4. Seed morphology and taxonomy of the Egyptian species of Lepidieae. Bull FacSciAssiutUniv25: 43-50
- Guest, E. 1966. Flora of Iraq .Ministry of Agriculture, Republic of Iraq. Vol. 1.pp.213
- Hani, M.,R. Lebazda and M.Fenni1.2017. Studies of morphological characteristics and production of seeds weeds of species of Family Brassicaceae (Cruciferous) in setifian high plateau, Algeria. Annual Research& Review in Biology, 12,pp: 1-9.https://doi.org/10.9734/ARRB/2017/33473
- Heywood, V. H. 1971. Scanning Electron Microscopy. Systematic and Evolutionary Applications. Journal of the Arnold Arboretum, 65, 343-373.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.flora.2016.03.013
- Kasem, W.T., A. Ghareeb, and E. Marwa .2011. Seed Morphology and Seed Coat sculpturing of 32 Taxa of Family Brassicaceae. Journal of American Studies, 2
- Kaya, A.,M. Ünal, F.Özgökçe; B.Doğan and E.Martin .2011. Fruit and seed morphology of six species previously placed in Malcolmia (Brassicaceae) in Turkey and their taxonomic value. Turkish Journal of Botany, 35: 653-662
- Lawrence, G.H.M.1963.Taxonomy of Vascular Plants. Seventh printing. The Macmillan Company, New York.823 London,pp: 95-105.
- Mahmoud Bidarlord, ZibaJamzad and Dmitry A. German .2021. Lepidium khalkhalicum (Brassicaceae), a new wild relative of the garden cress (L. sativum) from northwestern Iran, Nordic Journal of Botany, 10.1111/njb.03036, 39, 1
- Murley, M.R. .1951. Seeds of the Cruciferae of northeastern North America. Am Midi Nat 46: 1-81
- Ozudoğru, B.,G. Akaydinb,S.Erika and K. Mummenhoff .2016. Seed morphology of Ricotia (Brassicaceae) and Its phylogenetic and systematic implication. Flora —Morphology, Distribution, Functional Ecology of Plants, 222, 60-67
-Sadeq and Aliwy.2019.Micro-morphology study of pollen grain and cypsela of seven selected species belong to Asteraceae family in Al-Jadriya campus. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences: 50(4):1138- 1152.
- Sulaiman, S. K.; Z. A.I smail and S.A.Aliwy.2020.Study of Cytological and Micro-morphological characteristics of some species of the genus Euphobia L. belong to Euphorbiaceae family ,using electron microscope in Iraq. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences: 51(5):1394-1404.
-Zohary, M.1964.The flora of Iraq and its phytogeographical subdivision .Government of Iraq. Min. of Agr. Basghdad.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.