HEPATOTOXICOPATHOLOGY EVALUATION OF DIMETHYLFORMAMIDE (DMF) ON MALE ALBINO RATS LIVERS
Keywords:dimethylformamide, hepatotoxicity, liver enzyme, serum, kupffer.
This experiment was aimed to investigate the Toxicopathological effect of N, N-Dimethylformamide (DMF) (1/10LD50) on the adult male rats' liver. Sixteen adult male rats were used in this experiment. After acclimatization for two weeks, they were divided equally into two groups as follows: Group-C-control: Normal diet and water for 30 days (n=8 rats).Group-T1: DMF 645.5mg/kg. B.W as 1/10LD50 for30 days ( n=8rats ) , after thirty days collected blood for liver enzymes analysis then all animals killed at the end of the experiment and the liver samples saved at 10% formalin for histopathological preparation. The results showed that serum liver enzymes (ALP, ALT, and AST) concentrations of adult male rats after thirty days of oral DMF administration were significantly different (P<0.05) from the control group. Histopathological changes of group 1/10 LD50 (T1) group appear enlargement of hepatocytes with mild degeneration and mild hyperplasia of kupffer cells, and focal infiltration of inflammatory cells mainly lymphocytes in the portal area and a large area of necrosis.
- Al-Rekabi F. M. K., A. Alsadawi and A. I. Al-ameedi 2021. A New approach in treatment acute ivermectin toxicity in male balb-C mice. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 52(2): 301–308
- Al-Zuhairi A. H. 2020. Toxicological effects of aqueous extract of calotropis procera leaves in experimentally poisoned rabbits. Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Medicine. 44(1): 46–56
- Antoniou E. E., H.-P. Gelbke, J. Ballach and M. P. Zeegers 2020. The influence of airborne N, N -dimethylformamide on liver toxicity measured in industry workers: A systematic review and meta-analysis . Toxicology Research and Application. 4 (1): 1-11
- Das K. and A. K. Kathiriya 2012. Hepatoprotective activity of stevia rebaudiana bert. leaves against thioacetamide induced toxicity. Turkish Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 9(3): 343–352.
- Hafez E. 1970. Reproduction and breeding techniques for laboratory animals. Lea and Fibiger, Philadelphia: London.
- Hamada M., M. Abe, Y. Tokumoto, T. Miyae, H. Murakami, Y. Hiasa, B. Matsuura, K. Sato and M. Onji 2009. Occupational liver injury due to N, N-dimethylformamide in the synthetics industry. Intern. Med. 48(18): 1647–1650
- Hu Z. Y., J. Chang, F. F. Guo, H. Y. Deng, G. T. Pan, B. Y. Li and Z. L. Zhang 2020. The effects of dimethylformamide exposure on liver and kidney function in the elderly population: A cross-sectional study. Medicine. 99(27): e20749
- IBM SPSS Statistics Software 2013. Version 22.0. SPSS Inc., Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- Kennedy G. L. and H. Sherman 1986. Acute and subchronic toxicity of dimethylformamide and dimethylacetamide following various routes of administration. Drug Chem. Toxicol. 9(2): 147-170
- Kim K. W. and Y. H. Chung 2013. Hepatotoxicity in rats treated with dimethylformamide or toluene or both. Toxicological Research. 29(3): 187–193
- Kim T. H., and S. G. Kim 2011. Clinical outcomes of occupational exposure to N, N -dimethylformamide : Perspectives from Experimental Toxicology.2 (2): 97–104
- Lei Y., S. Xiao, S. Chen, H. Zhang, H. Li and Y. Lu 2017. N, N-dimethylformamide-induced acute hepatic failure: A case report and literature review. Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine. 14(6): 5659–5663
- Lynch D. W., M. E. Placke, R. L. Persing and M. J. Ryan 2003. Thirteen-week inhalation toxicity of N, N-dimethylformamide in F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice. Toxicological Sciences. 72(2): 347–358
- Malley L.A., T.W. Jr. Slone, C. Van Pelt, G.S. Elliott, P.E. Ross, J.C. Stadler and G. L. Jr. Kennedy 1994. Chronic toxicity/oncogenicity of dimethylformamide in rats and mice following inhalation exposure. Fundam. Appl. Toxicol. 23(2): 268–279
- Mashi S. K. 2016. Effect of green tea extract on injured liver induced by acetaaminophen in rabbits adult male. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 47(6): 1549–1555
- Mraz J., H. Cross, A. Gescher, MD. Threadgill and J. Flek 1989. Differences between rodents and humans in the metabolic toxification of N, N-dimethylformamide. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 98(3): 507-516
- Nomiyama T., M. Uehara, H. Miyauchi, S. Imamiya, S. Tanaka and Y. Seki 2001. Causal relationship between a case of severe hepatic dysfunction and low exposure concentrations of N, N-dimethylformamide in the synthetics industry. Industrial Health. 39(1): 33–36
- Nur A., J.B. Nusrat and U. Rafiq 2013. Review on in vivo and in vitro methods evaluation of antioxidant activity. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal. 21(2):143-152
- Rui D., C. Daojun and Y. Yongjian 2011. Liver and heart toxicity due to 90-day oral exposure of ICR mice to N, N-dimethylformamide. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology. 31(3): 357–363
- Sallie R., J. Michael Tredger and R. Williams 1991. Drugs and the liver part 1: Testing liver function. Biopharmaceutics & Drug Disposition. 12(4): 251–259.
- Scailteur V., E. Hoffmann, J. P. Buchet and R. Lauwerys 1984. Study on in vivo and in vitro metabolism of dimethylformamide in male and female rats. Toxicology. 29(3): 221-234
- Senoh H., T. Katagiri, H. Arito, T. Nishizawa, K. Nagano, S. Yamamoto and T. Matsushima 2003. Toxicity due to 2- and 13-wk inhalation exposures of rats and mice to N, N-dimethylformamide. Journal of Occupational Health. 45(6): 365–375.
- Syroeshkin A. V., T. V. Pleteneva, E. V. Uspenskaya, I. I. Saydinov, O. V. Levitskaya, T. E. Elizarova, M. A. Tribot-Laspiere and A. I. Odnovorov 2020. AscorbiС acid degradation in N, N-dimethylformamide solutions. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 12(2): 70–75
- Tanaka K. I. 1971. Toxicity of dimethylformamide (DMF) to the young female rat. Internationales Archiv Für Arbeitsmedizin. 28(2): 95–105
- Wang C., J. Yang, D. Lu, Y. Fan, M. Zhao and Z. Li 2016. Oxidative stress-related DNA damage and homologous recombination repairing induced by N,N-dimethylformamide. Journal of Applied Toxicology. 36(7): 936–945
- Yassein S. N. 2020. Comparative study of pathogenicity between aspergillus fumigatus and penicillium chrysogenum in mice. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 51,168–175
- Zhang Q., C. Huang, Y. Wei, Q. Zhu, W. Tian and C. Wang 2014. Risk assessment of N, N-dimethylformamide on residents living near synthetic leather factories. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. Int. 21(5): 3534-3539.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.